Legal Document Management: An Overview of Platinum’s Services.
Platinum IDS is a full service litigation support consultancy backed by a world class professional services offering. In layman’s terms, we work with legal teams across the nation as consultants and subject matter experts in the area of Legal Document Management. Documents manifest in many forms these days, from native work product like emails and spreadsheets, to scanned document images or paper based document representations.
When subpoenas launch in Litigation, the scope of documents required for legal teams to fulfill the request is often overbearing. Platinum’s job is to help secure these documents while making them available to legal teams through discovery.
We’ll take a moment and illuminate some of the high points of this work, although this is in no way an exhaustive list, it should help to understand how we’re uniquely positioned to help teams ove through the litigation discovery process more gracefully. [/vc_column_text][divider line_type=”No Line”][vc_column_text]
Hosted Review and eDiscovery:
Using software specifically developed for use in the legal environment. Litigation support software such as Xera and Relativity give a legal team an efficient and time-saving way to organize, manage, store, retrieve, analyze and summarize a large amount of data, documents and information gathered during a case while saving time and money.
Whether the legal team has court documents, pleadings, contracts, interrogatories, audio, video, blueprints, expert witness reports or testimony to keep track of, it can all be entered into a Hosted Review platform for storage, organization and easy retrieval. Hosted Review software doesn’t just store, organize and handle litigation documents, it can also help the team track internal organizational knowledge about the case, be used to develop timelines of a case, keep track of scheduling docket reports and store case diaries and notes made during the litigation process. Hosted Review platforms also offer sophisticated document production tools.
Why is litigation Hosted Review beneficial? Isn’t it easier just to file everything neatly away in labeled folders and boxes instead of having to learn new software?
Sure, if it’s a small, simple case with few parties, non-complex issues and are expected to last a short time. However, larger cases with complex issues, thousands or millions of documents and numerous parties can quickly become cumbersome. It’s far easier to carry an external hard-drive or a simple memory stick that can hold millions of documents and files than it is to lug around hundreds of pounds of paper stuffed into box after box, however that can be hard to share with co-workers or experts like third party witnesses. This format also makes production more difficult.
Additionally, that’s a lot of stuff to sort through and organize, especially if a specific document is needed. Instead of sorting through stacks of files to find one relevant document, a user can simply execute a search or query and within seconds find the necessary documents. It doesn’t even matter if the user doesn’t know exactly what document is needed because litigation support software also support keyword searches to find documents and files quickly. Once a user knows and understands the software, litigation support becomes less time-consuming and less tedious and can help the law firm become more organized, which, in turn, saves money.
When a new attorney or member of the support staff joins a case, there is no need to shuffle boxes and folders around so the new guy can become familiar with the case. Hosted Review allows information and documents to be shared 24/7 through a secure web browser. So, if someone is up at 3 a.m. thinking about a new strategy for a big case, it’s all at their fingertips.
Hosted Review solutions are basic linear review systems built for litigators. They allow for simple document review, tagging, keyword search, metadata sorting (such as a chronological sort on date fields), redaction and production to any common format encountered in our industry.
All solutions also offer simple to advanced analytics using Machine Learning technologies. Each solution uses a different engine to achieve similar experience and results for the end user. The main difference in features are found in the User Interface (UI) and how the features have been purposefully implemented in tools designed to take advantage of the information provided. [/vc_column_text][divider line_type=”No Line”][vc_column_text]
Cost Confidence is Platinum’s All Inclusive offering. Essentially all of Platinum’s digital services are included under one flat rate, per-gigabyte fee that includes processing, hosting, technical time, consulting, remote collection and more.
With Confidence, legal teams are empowered to serve clients faster, with the ability to access and discover key intelligence quickly and securely from anywhere in the world. Well equipped firms can easily serve more clients with less human capital resulting in higher profits for the company. Obviously, firms who are well prepared for this kind of research will win more cases, increasing client loyalty and further promoting revenue and organizational growth.
Furthermore, Counsel must have access to consultants that can aid in data mapping, collection planning and frontline negotiation with opposing parties or regulatory agencies regarding production form and strategy (rule 26f) to ensure additional technical requirements don’t quagmire the progress of the case. This kind of consulting is traditionally expensive and also requires a great deal of CLE to ensure quality over time.
Platinum addresses these problems and more with a simple, all-inclusive solution that instantly bolts in processing, hosting, consulting, technical services, security, infrastructure, platform, education, support and training combined with unlimited technical talent through our pool of world class eDiscovery and Litigation Support experts. [/vc_column_text][divider line_type=”No Line”][vc_column_text]
Defensible Preservation of Evidence:
Corporations and legal teams utilize companies like Platinum to help manage forensically sound collection on physical devices, including servers, workstations, laptops, mobile phones and tablets. However, much of our collection requests are around email, which can be collected remotely in a highly discreet without disrupting the end user’s workflow. Remote collection of email is also included with every tier of Cost Confidence. Platinum operates in full transparency in this regard. We do not claim to do the work in house and our recommended vendors bill the end client directly. Platinum asks a 10% referral fee for all services performed by our partners.
In addition to traditional forensic collection, Platinum also has the ability to collect entire websites and from accessible (non private) social media platforms such as twitter and facebook. This is a highly valuable, yet often overlooked trove of evidence that can be used in potentially every case encountered.
Digital forensics, also sometimes called cyber forensics or computer forensics, is concerned with techniques applied to the process for collecting, examining, analyzing, and presenting evidence originating from digital data sources to courts. The term “computer forensics” is becoming less appropriate to describe digital or cyber forensics activities, as what a computer can be has changed and the scope of digital data sources has become increasingly large. Data sources typically do not only include the various types of computers one easily thinks of (desktop, server, laptop, tablet, mobile phones etc.), but also computers such as the ones in GPS systems in cars, in the cars themselves, and as was recently shown in a US court case, a pacemaker! One should also not forget that digital data sources that can be forensically examined include any type of media that will store digital information (including the cloud) and computer networks.
Digital forensics may seem highly similar to eDiscovery, and there is an overlap, but there are differences between digital forensics and eDiscovery that are important to understand. However, different sources may not always concur on the subject.[/vc_column_text][divider line_type=”No Line”][vc_column_text]
A Unique Skillset with Cullable:
Cullable is an inexpensive, cloud service based alternative to traditional eDiscovery processing workflows. It’s fast, secure and extremely easy to use. It’s not a review platform, and it will never be. Cullable focuses on the heavy lifting of ESI processing and reduction to help legal teams power through mountains of data faster so discovery can begin almost immediately.
Today, Cullable is highly prized for its ability to OCR over 20,000 pages of images per minute, in just about any language. This is many times faster than any comparative technology available on the market, period. Cullable can also OCR PDFs, or convert images to PDF format, again many times faster than any solution available. Since Cullable’s OCR accuracy is so much better than any other comparative solution on the market, it’s highly utilized for machine translation.
Cullable’s eDiscovery tools are in heavy development, and we look forward to offering it as a DIY data ingestion tool for our customers in 2020. Cullable does not produce images or PDFs from native documents. Cullable is designed to make unstructured user generated content structured and searchable, therefore – Cullable.
End users can login and use Cullable on their own today for OCR projects, and soon they’ll be able to perform complex eDiscovery processing, landing data in a review environment of their choice. An integration with iConect Xera is underway and an integration with Relativity is planned in 2021.
Along with the world’s most effective OCR engine, Cullable uses deep learning and Convoluted Neural Networks to summarize data and extremely scalable compute clusters to identify PII and PHI through our flexible DLP tools.
Analog LTS Services:
We’re often surprised that many of our customers don’t know the sheer breadth of our services offering. We truly cover a lot of ground at Platinum, including the paper needs of our clientele. Even clients in other cities should understand that Platinum maintains a world class document imaging and duplication initiative, dubbed ‘Analog LTS Services’. (LTS stands for Litigation Technology Systems)
Why Analog? Because opposed to our traditional eDiscovery or ‘Digital’ services, Analog most often deals with physical, or tangible information formats such as paper, or demonstrative formats like trial boards.
Texas hosts some of the most extraordinary trials in the nation due to it being home to many of the nations top eDiscovery and technology savvy courtrooms. This brings many clients into Analog’s prospect scope than other states.
Popular services from Analog Services are as follows, although this is not an exhaustive list:
- Trial Exhibit Creation: This includes Exhibit Stamping, Printing, Binding and more. Platinum acts as a secure repository for firms and corporations as exhibit designations are made throughout trial preparation.
- Secure Archival and Destruction Services: Traditionally long or unestablished deadline projects that require accurate capture of documents for archival purposes. Often valuable in M&A transactions, or when a company seeks to distribute legacy information inter-organizationally, or reclaim storage real estate for more effective purposes. Documents can optionally be securely destroyed after image capture with a defensible certificate of destruction.
- Data Transformation / Conversion: Conversion of any image format to any other image format, popular in ETL initiatives, or to ensure document formats meet receiving party standards.
- Document Imaging: Useful in discovery, archival or data mining initiatives. Most commonly performed at our home office, but on-site imaging services are available in the D/FW area and with notice, possibly beyond our region.
- OCR Services: Using Cullable, the world’s most effective and accurate OCR engine. Imaged documents can be OCR’ed at a clip of 20,000 pages per minute in any language. Optional machine translation can be added for a low additional fee.
- Document Printing: Also called ‘Blowback’. Documents are printed at high speed using Canon laser printers on brilliant white, archival grade paper. Documents are delivered in high quality archival grade storage boxes at no additional cost. Documents can be printed chronologically, by author or organization with appropriate metadata.
- Document Copy: Secure duplication of paper content, again using Canon image capture equipment, reproduced on brilliant white, archival grade paper. Delivered in high quality archival grade storage boxes at no additional cost. We also offer free pickup and delivery in the D/FW area.
- Hard Drives and Flash Media: Platinum stocks content storage devices overstocked if a client ever needs a hard drive, we’d gladly sell them one. Alternatively, any project can be returned to the client on high quality archival grade media. Media can be encrypted in a variety of ways.
- All Projects are archived for a period of two years. Documents can be recalled at any time, or destroyed on demand with a request in writing to better comply with protective orders or end of life scenarios.
- Branding: This includes Bates labeling, confidential or privileged designations, or exhibit stamps of any kind.
- Physical or Digital Redaction: Documents of any kind can be redacted by hand or digitally per client specification or goals.
- Logical Document Determination (or LDD): Documents are manually interrogated to determine the logical start and stop of a record. Often used as a precursor to document coding to ensure dates, authors or other important metadata appropriately represent the document’s content.
- Document Coding: Documents are manually interrogated to extract metadata such as document type, author, title, date, names mentioned and more. Can be extremely valuable in creating a chronological sort or timeline of events, or filtering documents by content classification.
- Content Destruction Services: Documents, Hard Drives or any other sensitive media can be destroyed and a certificate of destruction delivered to ensure defensibility of the operation.
- Oversized Printing and Imaging: Documents can be blown up to large demonstrative formats for presentation, advertisement or promotional initiatives. Large documents such as maps or ASBUILT drawings can also be imaged to better align with review and production workflows.
- Full Bindery Services: Many types of binding mediums are available as a service. Binders of all sizes are stocked at all times.
- Media Duplication: Hard drives, flash drives, CD or DVD media can be defensibly duplicated and labeled on demand.
- Worldwide delivery and fulfillment services: Available through FedEx / UPS or hand delivered by courier.
- Custom Requests Managed: For requests that don’t fit into a traditional line item, workflows and quality programs can be designed for just about any request, billed with standard technical time charges.
On-site and Facility Management / BPO Services.
Analog LTS services are available on or off site. On-site services require a bit of setup and scheduling, but it’s important to understand that many highly confidential cases, or cases requiring a high volume of active, live working files are better handled on-site with Platinum staff members. Often but unbeknownst to us, the client doesn’t like offering live documents for an outside company to duplicate or image due to potentially confidential nature of the content. I mean think about it, would you want some company you don’t know potentially having access to all of your personal records? Over the years, attorneys have become experienced in offering successful rebuttals to this process, but it’s never comfortable. On-site services can help remedy this discomfort.
Pitching on-site services is an often overlooked but extremely valuable service offering. On-site work is managed by the initiative’s director personally and can often convert into long term archival, office services or staffing initiatives. This means long term residual revenue over time through on-site team members and equipment. An impressive array of future sales opportunity in every one of Platinum’s initiatives can be discovered when we’re close to the client in this way.
Also understand that this offering makes us somewhat unique in our local market. Most of our competitors don’t even have on-site services or FM (Facility Management) / BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) on their radar.
Benefits of on-site or FM opportunities:
- Platinum employees better understand the importance of instructions and goals throughout the project. They’re career document managers and will easily outperform existing staff or temporary employees in an on-site initiative.
- Daily reporting on needs and progress throughout the project or engagement.
- Regular access to documents responsive to the initiative. Documents are on-site and can be utilized by anyone who needs them.
- Strong proficiency with the work proposed and the equipment required to complete the project.
- A managed initiative, with support services to assist when needed.
- Equipment cost of rental is lower with outsourcing, we bring our own and it’s only cost to the company is while the project is active.
- Platinum employees are already experienced with the gear used on site. This means simple maintenance like cleaning and jam clearing can usually be managed by the team members without relying on IT.
- Platinum gear is industrial grade, will perform faster and at a higher quality than traditional office systems.
- The initiative is completely managed by Platinum, requiring little to no administrative support by the host organization. It’s truly plug and play with no setup or maintenance.
Get Started. Reach out for a consultation today.
Platinum IDS was founded in 2001 with the intention of simplifying the often complex world of Litigation information management. Since then, we’ve adopted a maverick culture of innovation and creativity that delivers insight to complex discovery and eDiscovery challenges through secure, thoughtful and responsive solutions to the Legal community at large. Contact us to learn more about how we can help.